Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a Nigella Lawson recipe from her summer collection. However, I had to share it with you. It is really a wonderfully tasty dish especially for those hot summer days. Here is Australia this recipe is a regular on our Christmas Day menu. The colours in the dish are stunning. Preparation time includes peeling the green (raw) prawns/shrimp and the cooling time for the prawns and the cooked black rice.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 2 fresh thai birds eye chiles or 2 other red chilies, finely sliced
- 4 cm ginger, approx finely minced (I just chopped the heck out of it)
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
For the Salad
- 250 g nanjing black rice
- 500 g green or raw peeled prawns or 500 g shrimp
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- To make the dressing sauce, simply mix all the ingredients together.
- Black Rice:.
- Cook as per the instructions on the packet.
- Usually 25-30 minutes.
- Poach the prawns for 5 minutes in some simmering salted water to which you have added the juice of half a lemon.
- Cook the prawns until they are JUST cooked through but still very tender.
- Let both the rice and the prawns cool.
- Then give the dressing sauce a quick stir and spoon some over the rice, fork this through.
- Then tumble the prawns on top, spooning a little the remainder of the sauce over.
- Serves 2 as a main dish and 4 as a starter.
Chrissy this is excellent. Love the flavour of the dressing. Like Latchy I also used cooked prawns and didn't have black rice so used wild rice instead. Very quick and easy to put together for a great looking, and tasty dish. A recipe that I will use often. Thanks Chrissy!
Just loved the dressing for this, which in a way really is the recipe. The black rice that chrissy sent me took about 50 mins to cook, but is worth it, really is pretty seeing the black rice and the lovely red prawns together. I actually just bought prawns that had already been cooked, they looked good and I was lazy. Thanks chrissy for a great recipe.