Recipe by Chrissyo
This is a Nigella Lawson recipe from her summer collection. However, I had to share it with you. It is really a wonderfully tasty dish especially for those hot summer days. Here is Australia this recipe is a regular on our Christmas Day menu. The colours in the dish are stunning. Preparation time includes peeling the green (raw) prawns/shrimp and the cooling time for the prawns and the cooked black rice.
Top Review by rosslare
So beautiful salad and such good Vietnamese dressing, I had to double it. I also added Vietnamese toppings to the salad, green onions, coriander and some chopped roasted peanuts.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 2 fresh thai birds eye chiles or 2 other red chilies, finely sliced
- 4 cm ginger, approx finely minced (I just chopped the heck out of it)
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
For the Salad
- 250 g nanjing black rice
- 500 g green or raw peeled prawns or 500 g shrimp
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the dressing sauce, simply mix all the ingredients together.
- Black Rice:.
- Cook as per the instructions on the packet.
- Usually 25-30 minutes.
- Poach the prawns for 5 minutes in some simmering salted water to which you have added the juice of half a lemon.
- Cook the prawns until they are JUST cooked through but still very tender.
- Let both the rice and the prawns cool.
- Then give the dressing sauce a quick stir and spoon some over the rice, fork this through.
- Then tumble the prawns on top, spooning a little the remainder of the sauce over.
- Serves 2 as a main dish and 4 as a starter.