Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
The Spanish love bacon, which we cure and air-dry in the same way as our famous jamon. This combination of prawns and bacon is inspired and very popular, and can be found at most Tapas bar, as well as in many banquets and receptions. It is an ideal treat for your guests when having a party at home! Found on-line at Spain recipes and posting for ZWT5. Although this was found on a Spainish Recipe Site, prawns/shrimp are common in many areas of the world, especially in the tropical islands.
- 5 ounces bacon, thinly sliced (or jamon)
- 24 prawns, peeled (medium to large uncooked, headless)
- black pepper, freshly ground to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lemons, quartered
- Cut the bacon (or jamon, if using it) into pieces which will wrap generously round the prawns. Place the wrapped prawns down flat on a board and skewer them through the fattest part and the tail, making sure the jamón is firmly fixed. Season generously and drizzle with the oil.
- On a high heat, griddle, grill or barbecue the prawn and bacon brochettes for 2-3 minutes on each side, so the jamón crisps up. Alternatively , roast in a hot oven (425ºF) on an oiled baking tray for 8-10 minutes. Squeeze over the juice of the lemon wedges and serve immediately.
It was our first time to eat shrimps with bacon. It's delicious. We loved that. We tried with lemon juice on it, but we prefered without. Thanks Diner :) Made for PRMR tag game
WOW! Love bacon, love prawns, but I don't think I've had them together before. Having enjoyed these, I cannot imagine why not! These were sensational. We enjoyed them on a bed of rice with diner524's Crunchy Tossed Salad. I scaled the recipe back to serve two but I'm really looking forward to making them for guests. And what could be easier? It's basically all prepared ahead. Like **Tinkerbell**, we loved the lemon juice. But I would have added it even if it hadn't been in the recipe. My only addition - as I love garlic with prawns - was a little minced garlic on each prawn before wrapping the prawn with the bacon. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful recipe, diner524! Made for PRMR.
We created our own Tapas bar last night for dinner & this recipe was on the menu. DH grilled them on the outdoor grill & we tested two types of bacon. Both meats were equally good with the prawns & we could have eaten only these brochettes for dinner & been satisfied. What put these over the top for me was the simple squeeze of lemon at the end. The tang of the lemon made the flavors of the prawns & bacon explode in your mouth. Already have requests to make this again when our family is in town for DD's birthday this summer. :) Made for Zaar World Tour 5 - Ali Baba's Babes!