Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I am guessing on the dozens. It depends on the size you want them.
- 4 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons Karo syrup
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1 can water
- 4 -6 cups pecans
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix the first four ingredients together.
- Cook over a low fire until the soft ball stage; Remove from heat.
- Add butter, vanilla and pecans.
- Beat until the mixtur holds its shape.
- Spoon on buttered waxed paper.
- Ready when firm.
This made 60 2-inch or 2-1/2-inch pralines that were delicious! Sorry, I couldn't give it 5 stars because the directions were not detailed enough to let the average cook (who isn't experienced with candies) be successful. Because this more than doubles in volume before reaching the soft-ball stage, you need to use a 4-quart or larger pot. (I used a 3-quart pot which threatened to bubble over even on low.) Softball stage needs to be stated (234-238 degrees. I will make this again since I have learned from experience. These would make very nice, tasty Holiday gifts.