Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Nice addition to a holiday gift basket.
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Line 2 baking sheets with waxed paper or buttered foil.
- Combine sugar, buttermilk and baking soda in heavy large saucepan and stir once.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat; reduce heat and boil gently without stirring for about 20 mins.
- Remove from heat and add butter, beating with wooden spoon until mixture begins to lose its shine and thickens slightly, about 5-7 mins.
- Quickly stir in nuts and vanilla (mixture will firm almost immediately) Drop by spoonfuls onto baking sheets.
- Let stand until completely cool.