Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I think this is a Paula Deen recipe. I have had it in my recipe box for several years. I try not to make these nuts too often. They just taste too good. You could substitute evaporated milk for the whipping cream, but I have never made them that way. You do need a candy thermometer when you are making these nuts. You have to work quickly at the end of the recipe or you will end up with a big lump of nuts. If you wish to make candies, keep pot in a bowl of hot water & drop spoonfulls on greased parchment. I have included these in Christmas goodie boxes.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecan pieces (toasted)
- Toast pecans in oven at 350 for about 5 or 6 minutes, they will start to smell wonderful & the colour will change slightly.
- Combine sugars, cream & butter in a heavy pan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat (brush down sides of pan with a brush dipped in water frequently).
- Cook to 236F on candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat & let cool to 220F, do not stir, this will take about 5 minutes.
- Stir gently with a wooden spoon or silicone spatula for 2 minutes, the candy will look shiny & begin to thicken.
- Stir in nuts.
- Spread on cookie sheet lined with greased baking parchment.
- Let cool.
- Break into pieces & store in airtight container.