Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Southern Living; I make these every Christmas and they bring down the house everytime.
Top Review by Jillian L
This is one of my dad's favorites so I had to give it a try. I followed your directions exactly and they turned out beautifully. Very sweet and creamy, not at all grainy. A wonderful crunch from the pecans. Dad says they are as good as his mom used to make. The highest of all compliments. Thank you Nurse Di for sharing your recipe.
- 3 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring first 4 ingredients to a boil in a 3 quart saucepan over medium heat, stirring mixture constantly.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, 6-8 minutes, or until a candy thermometer registers 236 degrees (soft ball stage).
- Remove mixture from heat, and add butter (do not stir).
- Let stand until candy thermometer reaches 150 degrees.
- Stir in pecans and vanilla, using a wooden spoon, and stir constantly until candy begins to thicken.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls, working rapidly, onto wax paper.
- Let stand until firm.