Praline Torte With Chocolate Truffle Filling
- 1 2⁄3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter, softened
- 4 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup milk
Chocolate Truffle Cream Filling
- 6 ounces dark chocolate or 6 ounces semisweet baking chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream
Mocha Praline Cream
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- Heat oven to 375. Grease and flour three 8 or 9 inch round cake pans. In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. In small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; set aside.
- In large bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1 1/2 cups butter and egg yolks; beat until light and fluffy. Add flour mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Fold in egg whites. Pour batter into greased and floured pans.
- Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pans. Cool completely.
- In small heavy saucepan over very low heat, melt chocolate, stirring constantly until smooth. Remove from heat; stir in 1 T. butter and 1/3 cup of whipping cream. If necessary, refrigerate until thickened and of desired spreading consistency, 15 to 30 minutes.
- Line cookie sheet with foil. In small skillet over low heat, cook almonds and 1/4 cup of sugar, stirring constantly, until sugar is melted and almonds are coated. Place on foil-lined cookie sheet; cool. Place coated almonds in plastic bag; coarsely crush with wooden mallet or rolling pin. Set aside.
- Assemble torte 2 to 3 hours before serving. Place 1 cake layer on serving plate; spread with half of filling. Repeat with second cake layer and remaining filling. Top with remaining cake layer. In small bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups whipping cream, 1 T. sugar, instant coffee granules and almond extract; beat just until stiff peaks form. DO NOT OVERBEAT.
- Reserve 2 T. crushed almonds for garnish; fold in remaining crushed almonds. Frost top and sides of cake. Before serving, garnish with reserved crushed almonds. Cover; store in refrigerator.