Recipe by hotmomma Temple
My mother in law gave me a "BERNARDIN guide to home preserving" book ( i guess she got tired of me phoning her every yr because i forgot how long a fruit or whatever had to be in the canner). Anyway in it was this recipe and being one of those people who love pecans ( a DQ pecan praline mudslide anyone, my personal favorite) and thought wow if this is as good as it sounds maybe my ice cream at home could be almost as good as DQ's. So I tried it and it was so yummy i could'nt believe.
- 2 1⁄2 cups corn syrup
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 2⁄3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecan pieces
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Fill boiling water canner with water.
- Place three clean half pint mason jars in canner over high heat.
- Place snap lids in boiling water; boil 5 mins to soften sealing compound.
- Combine syrup, water and sugar in a large pan.
- Bring mixture to boil, stirring constantly; boil hard 1 minute Stir in pecans and vanilla.
- Return to a boil; boil hard six minutes.
- Ladle syrup into a hot jar to within 1/4 inch of top rim (head space).
- Remove air bubbles by sliding a rubber spatule between glass and food; readjust head space to 1/4 inch.
- Wipe jar rim removing any stickiness.
- Center snap lid on jar; apply screw band just until fingertip tight.
- Place jar in canner.
- Repeat for remaining syrup.
- Cover canner; return water to boil; process 10 mins at altitudes up to 1,000 feet.
- Remove jars.
- Cool 24 hours.
- Check jar seals (sealed lids curve downward).
- Wipe jars, labeland store in cool dark place.