Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is similar to others posted here, but it uses less pumpkin in the filling which makes it more custard-like. The praline layer really complements the pumpkin. A holiday favorite! For the crust, I use Pastry Crust (Pie Crust).
- 9 inches pastry crust, unbaked
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 eggs, well-beaten
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (or combination of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg & ginger)
- 1 cup half-and-half cream or 1 cup evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Fit pastry crust into 9" pie plate. Prick crust all over with fork.
- Combine pecans, 1/3 cup brown sugar, and butter in a small bowl, and press firmly into bottom of unbaked crust.
- Bake 10 minutes.
- Stir together eggs, pumpkin, 2/3 cup brown sugar, tablespoon of flour, salt, and spices. Gradually blend in half-n-half or evaporated milk until mixture is smooth & creamy. Pour into partially baked shell.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 325 degrees and bake an additional 40-45 minutes.
This recipe is really, really special! The pumpkin layer is so soft and spicy and the praline filling goes great with it. I loved the flavour combination of nuts and pumpkin with the caramel like praline. YUM! I reduced the sugar to 1/4 cup in the praline layer and also to 1/4 cup in the pumpkin layer. That was plenty for our taste. I found this really easy to whip up and thought it looked very festive. It would be great served at a party or festive dinner.
The only thing Im going to change next time is to to not prebake the praline in the crust, because my crust came out very hard due to having been prebaked at such a high temp. Other than that everything worked out very nicely.
Made and reviewed for I Recommend Tag October 2011.
Love this pie, perfect to satisfy my occasional pumpkin craving. Can and have eaten the whole thing by myself.
Loved it. Very good and easy to make. I followed the recipe exactly as written and we all enjoyed this.