Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From the 100 Best Appetizers Cookbook given to me by my sweet swap partner MaField during the Cookbook Swap in 2008. I'm planning on using this for holiday gifts this year. I really liked the flavor of the cranberries in this mix. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
- 828.06 ml pecan halves
- 59.14 ml light corn syrup
- 59.14 ml light brown sugar, packed
- 29.58 ml butter
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 1.23 ml baking soda
- 354.88 ml dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 250 F and grease a 13x9" baking pan, set aside. Cover large baking sheet with heavy duty foil, set aside.
- Spread pecans in single layer on prepared baking pan.
- Combine corn syrup, brown sugar and butter in small microwavable bowl and microwave on HIGH 1 minute; stir.
- Microwave 30 seconds to 1 minute or until boiling rapidly.
- Stir in vanilla and baking soda until well blended.
- Drizzle mixture evenly over pecan halves and stir until evenly coated.
- Bake 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes with a wooden spoon.
- IMMEDIATELY transfer mixture to prepared baking sheet, spreading pecans evenly over foil with lightly greased spatula.
- Cool completely. Break apart with wooden spoon.
- Combine pecans with cranberries in large bowl.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. You can also divide between cute cellophane gift bags and twist tie to seal.
First few times I made this the pecans were more like solid candy. Ever since they come out sticky and soft. Not sure why the change, but I decided to keep them in the oven for additional time, turning/mixing every 15 minutes, until the carmel was stringy. Today that meant an additional 30 minutes, but they dried hard and not sticky. So the key is making sure the carmel has sticky strands upon mixing before removing from the oven and laying in the second pan to cool. Hope that helps others : )
Okey Dokey Hokey Kokey! I DID add dried apricots to this DELECTABLE sweetie mixture, I had it in my mind before I read the recipe again, that there were apricots included! LOL! EVERYTHING else was as posted, with the addition of a few walnuts to bulk out my precious pecans.........and what a delicious sweet this was..........thanks SO much! They DO go a little soft and chewy if you leave them out of the airtight tin for too long, but that in no way takes away from the delicious buttery and vanilla taste! Made as a Fairy Dust recipe for MsSally and Holiday Tag. Thanks Hokies darlink! FT:-)
Thanks for posting this one Hokey :) Myself I am not a fan of pecans or cranberries, but this sounded perfect for my mother, so i cooked a batch up for her for christmas, and she said it was gone in a few days! I also brought some that wouldn't fit into my christmas tin, to my friend, about a cups worth, and she ate the whole thing in one sitting, so it seems the reviews are very positive! :) I will be making this again for easy but delicious gifts, thank you :)