Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a tasty pecan chess pie, but its custard is the color and taste of pralines, and it is a little less intense than Dark Pecan Pie - Virginia Hostess Style (although DH prefers the "dark" version). This recipe came from Virginia Hospitality by the Junior League of Hampton Roads. It took my pie 60 minutes in the oven. Be sure to put pie pan on pizza pan to catch any spillage. I added the perfect pecan halves just before baking; they improve the look of the pie for entertaining. I learned through ZWT5 that the French created the PECAN PIE after settling in New Orleans and being introduced to the pecan by the Natives, so it is considered a Creole dish.
- 236.59 ml light corn syrup
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 236.59 ml milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 44.37 ml flour
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 0.25 ml salt
- 236.59 ml pecans, chopped
- 1 unbaked 9-inch deep dish pie pastry
- 118.29 ml pecan halves, in perfect condition, for decoration
- Sort through pecans to select 1/2 cup of perfect pecan halves. Set aside until pie is otherwise ready for the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix corn syrup, sugar, milk, lightly beaten eggs, flour, vanilla, and salt and mix well.
- Stir in chopped pecans. Mix well.
- Pour into unbaked pie shell. Create decorative pattern with perfect pecan halves.
- Place pie on pizza pan to catch drips. Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 300 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for 30 minutes or until firm in the middle.
- Cool on wire rack.
Wonderful pecan pie! I used premade Pillsbury pie crust and loved how easy this pie was to make. Kate thank you for sharing this recipe. Made and reviewed for ZWT5.
This pie is very good. I used undiluted canned milk for the extra richness and I had to cook it for about 50 minutes instead of the 30 called for in the recipe. I think next time I will use buttermilk and brown sugar just to see what happens. I love buttermilk pralines so I bet it will be great. Thanks, This is a keeper