In our family, we call this "Crunchy-Crunchy." My mother-in-law makes a big batch of this every Christmas. We receive it in the big box of gifts and my youngest is very excited to see "Grandma's Crunchy-Crunchy" snack mix. I sometimes make it myself, but it's more special to receive it from Grandma, you know? It is great for gift giving in a nice air-tight plastic container. Great to put out for a sweet snack, any time of the year! Note: I have added a little salt to the recipe as a personal preference. If you want to leave it out as the original recipe calls for, you can do so. Enjoy!
- Heat oven to 250ºF. Spray 13 x 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Combine cereal and pecans in pan; mix well.
- In large microwaveable bowl, combine sugar, corn syrup and margarine.
- Microwave on HIGH 1 minute 30 seconds; stir. Microwave an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute 30 seconds or until boiling.
- Stir vanilla and baking soda and optional salt into sugar mixture. Pour over cereal mixture; stir to coat evenly.
- Bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Transfer to baking sheet, spreading mixture in even layer. Cool completely; break into pieces. Store tightly covered at room temperature.