Recipe by Pam-I-Am
In our family, we call this "Crunchy-Crunchy." My mother-in-law makes a big batch of this every Christmas. We receive it in the big box of gifts and my youngest is very excited to see "Grandma's Crunchy-Crunchy" snack mix. I sometimes make it myself, but it's more special to receive it from Grandma, you know? It is great for gift giving in a nice air-tight plastic container. Great to put out for a sweet snack, any time of the year! Note: I have added a little salt to the recipe as a personal preference. If you want to leave it out as the original recipe calls for, you can do so. Enjoy!
Top Review by Connie Lea
This was reallly good and so easy to make. I wasn't sure about the directions when it said just bring to a boil but it worked perfectly. I will be making this again. Also might try the syrup on popcorn. Thanks Pam for a great recipe.
- 8 cups Quaker Oatmeal Squares Cereal (1 whole box)
- 2 cups pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 4 tablespoons butter (margarine ok)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Heat oven to 250ºF. Spray 13 x 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Combine cereal and pecans in pan; mix well.
- In large microwaveable bowl, combine sugar, corn syrup and margarine.
- Microwave on HIGH 1 minute 30 seconds; stir. Microwave an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute 30 seconds or until boiling.
- Stir vanilla and baking soda and optional salt into sugar mixture. Pour over cereal mixture; stir to coat evenly.
- Bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Transfer to baking sheet, spreading mixture in even layer. Cool completely; break into pieces. Store tightly covered at room temperature.