Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
In our family, we call this "Crunchy-Crunchy." My mother-in-law makes a big batch of this every Christmas. We receive it in the big box of gifts and my youngest is very excited to see "Grandma's Crunchy-Crunchy" snack mix. I sometimes make it myself, but it's more special to receive it from Grandma, you know? It is great for gift giving in a nice air-tight plastic container. Great to put out for a sweet snack, any time of the year! Note: I have added a little salt to the recipe as a personal preference. If you want to leave it out as the original recipe calls for, you can do so. Enjoy!
- 8 cups Quaker Oatmeal Squares Cereal (1 whole box)
- 2 cups pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 4 tablespoons butter (margarine ok)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Heat oven to 250ºF. Spray 13 x 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Combine cereal and pecans in pan; mix well.
- In large microwaveable bowl, combine sugar, corn syrup and margarine.
- Microwave on HIGH 1 minute 30 seconds; stir. Microwave an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute 30 seconds or until boiling.
- Stir vanilla and baking soda and optional salt into sugar mixture. Pour over cereal mixture; stir to coat evenly.
- Bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Transfer to baking sheet, spreading mixture in even layer. Cool completely; break into pieces. Store tightly covered at room temperature.
This was reallly good and so easy to make. I wasn't sure about the directions when it said just bring to a boil but it worked perfectly. I will be making this again. Also might try the syrup on popcorn. Thanks Pam for a great recipe.
I had this a few years ago at a super bowl party and have been dying to have it again. I'm so glad I found this recipe. I LOVE how the cereal get so crunchy after being baked and the praline glaze is the perfect compliment to the cereal and pecans. I did use pecan halves because I wanted more pecans and it turned out AWESOME!
Oh my gosh. I printed this recipe a few years back and never got around to making it. I'm soooo mad at myself for waiting so long! It is so good. I couldn't quit munching on it. I ahve made another batch but used mixed nuts in place of the pecans and it is equally as good. Thank you so much for sharing your family recipe.