Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Just like pralines but softer.
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecans
- Mix the milk and sugar (equal parts of cream and sugar if you are adding to recipe).
- Boil until thermometer reaches 210F and add butter and vanilla.
- When temperature reaches soft ball stage add 1-1/2 cups pecans.
- When temperature reaches 2 degrees higher than soft ball stage, turn heat off and whip until it feels heavy.
- Spoon on buttered platter by spoonfuls.
- Allow to cool.
- NOTE: If doubling recipe, cook 2 degrees higher.
- Soft ball stage is 235 degrees F.
Do I look fat? Does this make me look fat? Well, so much for dieting, but oh so worth it. Made for PRMR.
I followed the directions watching the temperature so closely. It was dry and crumbly after it cooled. What did I do wrong?
Looks wonderful. But my sugar burnt before it ever reached to soft boil stage, even on simmer. Very disappointing!