Recipe by grandma2969
have another version made with butter flavored crisco..both are wonderful..could not decide which I like the best..so will post them both...
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine brown sugar with buttermilk -- butter, baking soda and maple syrup in saucepan.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until mixture reaches soft boil stage 234° on thermometer.
- Pour into a small mixing bowl.beat at high speed till creamy.
- Use immediately.
- Spread over top of cake, allowing it to drizzle down the sides.
- Leave on wire rack till set.
- This makes enough for a 10" tube cake.