This was featured in Southern Living magazine as "Dessert of the Month". It is described as a buttery cookie-and-praline crust beneath a dense, creamy filling. I would agree. I love cheesecake and it is one of the best I have made. It was also very beautiful. I know that this is a pretty detailed recipe, but it is worth the effort for a special occasion.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups crushed shortbread cookies (about 28 cookies)
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 4 pralines, coarsely crumbled
- 5 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 2 (8 ounce) containers sour cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1Cheesecake: Combine cookie crumbs and butter.
- 2Press into bottom and up sides of a greased 10-inch springform pan.
- 3Bake at 350 degrees for approx 8 minutes.
- 4Cool on a wire rack.
- 5Sprinkle coarsely crumbled pralines over crust.
- 6Beat cream cheese at medium speed with a heavy duty electric mixer until creamy.
- 7Gradually add 1 3/4 cups sugar, flour, and vanilla, beating until smooth.
- 8Add eggs and egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating just until yellow disappears.
- 9Stir in whipping cream and lemon rind.
- 10Pour in crust.
- 11Place on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- 12Bake at 350 degrees on lower oven rack 10 minutes.
- 13Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees, and bake 1 hour and 20 minutes or until almost set.
- 14Cool on wire rack 1 hour.
- 15Stir together sour cream and 1/3 cup sugar; spread over cheesecake.
- 16Bake at 325 degrees for 10 minutes.
- 17Cool on wire rack.
- 18Cover and chill 8 hours.
- 19Remove sides of pan.
- 20Garnish, if desired with pralines.
- 21Pralines: Butter bottom of a heavy 3-quart saucepan.
- 22Cook brown sugar and next 3 ingredients in saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until sugars dissolve; stir in pecans.
- 23Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook, stirring occasionally, 6 to 8 minutes or until a candy thermometer registers 238 degrees (soft ball stage).
- 24Remove from heat.
- 25Stir in vanilla; let stand 3 minutes.
- 26Beat with a wooden spoon 3 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken.
- 27Working rapidly, drop by tablespoonfuls onto wax paper.
- 28Let stand until firm.
Browse Our Top Cheesecake Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Praline-Crusted Cheesecake
Serving Size: 1 (257 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 860.8
- Calories from Fat 555
- Total Fat 61.7 g
- Saturated Fat 33.6 g
- Cholesterol 253.3 mg
- Sodium 380.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 61.3 g
- Protein 12.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: