Recipe by gailanng
A great pie that's easy to make. In place of 2 whole eggs, three yolks produces a smoother filling.
- 1 (9 inch) pie shells, baked
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 3⁄4 cups whole milk
- 2 eggs or 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 20 caramels, unwrapped
- 1⁄3 cup crushed butter brickle or 1⁄3 cup toffee pieces, plus additional (to garnish)
- 1 cup cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugar and cornstarch. Mix with milk. Place milk over medium heat, stirring to prevent scorching. Cook until thick and creamy.
- Beat eggs. Pour a small amount of hot pudding into beaten eggs, stirring rapidly to temper the eggs. Pour egg mixture into remaining hot pudding. Stirring, cook 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Stir in butter and vanilla extract. Add camels to hot pudding; stir until caramels begin to melt. Add butter brickle pieces and stir. Caramels will not be completely melted or mixed inches Pour mix into baked pie shell.
- Chill 3 to 4 hours.
- To serve, whip cream and place a dollop on each piece of pie.
- Sprinkle with additional butter brickle, if desired.