Recipe by Muffin Goddess
From "Carry-Out Cuisine" by Phyllis Meras. This recipe was given to me as part of a Christmas gift from my late Aunt Donna. She used to make this every year for our Christmas Eve open house. Wonderfully rich, not meant for those light dessert seekers.
Top Review by Chef PotPie
This is going into my Cheesecake Hall of Fame. It's not only DELISH, it's very pretty, too! Such a simple recipe for such a caramely rich taste. I followed the baking directions exactly, and the cake came out beautifully, without a single crack that cheesecakes often get. I think a graham crust would have been too strong a flavor and competed with the flavor of the cake, and since hubby and I aren't graham cracker fans, I used vanilla wafers, (about 45 of them.) I used toasted whole pecans on top, and drizzled maple syrup. Thanks Muffin Goddess, this is definitely a keeper! ZWT9
- 1 1⁄4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup toasted pecans, finely chopped but not ground
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 5 1⁄3 ounces evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- pure maple syrup, for glazing
- 12 whole pecans, for garnishing
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Combine crust ingredients in a small bowl.
- Press mixture into a 9- or 10- inch springform pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes in preheated oven.
- When crust is done, remove from oven and set aside.
- Increase oven temperature to 325 degrees F.
- Combine cream cheese, brown sugar, evaporated milk, flour, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl; beat well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Pour filling mixture into baked crust.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 50 minutes (center of cheesecake should still be slightly wobbly).
- Cool cheesecake completely (using whatever preferred method; everyone has their own).
- Before serving, paint the top with maple syrup and arrange whole pecans in a decorative pattern on top (I usually do it in such a way as to have one pecan per slice).
- Cover and refrigerate leftovers.