Luby Luby Luby's Note:
I was looking for a praline cake filling and found this on the internet. I found the original recipe to be too thick. While it didn't harden like a praline, it was just simply too thick. I've adjusted the quantities of milk and powdered sugar in order to have a filling that is spreadable. After it cools, you may need to thin it with a little more evaporated milk. If it's too thick start adding one tablespoon at a time until you get a consistency that can easily be spread on a cake without tearing the cake. You are looking for a consistency that will slowly drip off of your mixing spoon. There are other recipes for praline fillings that aren't cooked. However, I find that the cooking of the mixture adds extra flavor and a richness that will not achieve by just mixing the ingredients together. I love to make a yellow cake and use this filling and ice with a chocolate buttercream frosting and then pour a chocolate ganache over the top of the cake and let it drip down the sides.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Melt butter in heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- 2Add brown sugar and salt and bring to a boil.
- 3Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 4Remove from heat and slowly whisk in evaporated milk.
- 5Return saucepan to stove and bring mixture to a boil again.
- 6Boil, stirring constantly until mixture reaches 232 degrees.
- 7Remove from heat, stirring for a few minutes and cool to lukewarm.
- 8Add powdered sugar, vanilla and pecans.
- 9Beat until mixture is smooth.
- 10If mixture is too thick add evaporated milk one tablespoon at a time until mixture is of spreading consistency (approximately 1/4 cup or possibly a little more).
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Praline Cake Filling
Serving Size: 1 (1325 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 5706.9
- Calories from Fat 3283
- Total Fat 364.8 g
- Saturated Fat 144.5 g
- Cholesterol 579.4 mg
- Sodium 2371.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 613.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 20.9 g
- Sugars 553.5 g
- Protein 43.9 g