Recipe by Acerast
Here's another recipe from DH's Grandmother's recipe box. She copied it from the Chicago Tribune in 1968.
- 1 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 4 teaspoons flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl sift together the cake flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl cream the shortening, sugar and vanilla.
- Beat in the egg throughly.
- Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk, beating after each addition until smooth.
- Pour into a well-greased 9x9 cake pan.
- Bake at 325F for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool while preparing the icing.
- In a small bowl combine the brown sugar, water, butter and pecans.
- Spread icing mixture over the cooled cake.
- Return cake to 325F oven for 10 minutes.
- Cool and serve.