Recipe by sweetcakes
This is an easy to make cake. The cake is rich, with apple spices and topped with broiled-on brown-sugar pecan topping.
- 2 3⁄4 cups sifted cake flour, or all purpose
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 lb applesauce, or 1 3/4 cups
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups seedless raisins
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped pecans
- 2⁄3 cup flaked coconut
- powdered sugar, for decoration optional
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a baking pan, 13x9x2; dust lightly with flour, tapping out any excess.
- Sift cake flour, sugar, soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, and salt into a large bowl.
- Add shortening and applesauce; beat, scrapping down side of bowl often, 2 minutes at medium speed with an electric beater.
- Add eggs; beat 2 minutes longer, or until blended; fold in raisins. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake in moderate oven 350* for 35 minutes, or until center springs back when lightly pressed with fingertip. Remove from oven; cool in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes. Raise oven temperature to BROIL.
- Make Prailine Topping; spread enenly over warm cake.
- Broil, 6 inches from heat, 3 to 4 minutes, or until topping bubbles up and turns golden. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares.
- Praline Topping:.
- Cream butter with brown sugar until fluffy-light in a medium-size bowl; beat in cream until smooth, then stir in chopped pecans and coconut.
- To decorate cake, lay several inch-wider strips of wax paper diagonally across top of cooled cake; hold in place with wooden picks. Sieve powdered sugar generously over cake, then carefully lift off paper strips.