Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
Make this pie the morning of your gathering. After it cools, pour the luscious praline topping over the crust. If your family likes to enjoy dessert after dinner settles, put the pie in the oven when you sit down to eat your meal, and serve it warm later. From Southern Living.
- 1 (15 ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 cups rome apples (peeled and sliced) or 6 cups other cooking apples (peeled and sliced)
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut up
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- Fit 1 piecrust into a 9-inch pie plate according to package directions.
- Stir together sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Stir in apples; spoon mixture into crust. Dot with 2 tablespoons butter; sprinkle evenly with lemon juice. Top with remaining piecrust; fold edges under, and crimp. Cut several slits in top.
- Bake pie at 400° for 45 minutes on lower oven rack, shielding with aluminum foil after 30 minutes to prevent excessive browning. Remove from oven, and let cool.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a small saucepan; stir in brown sugar and whipping cream. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; cook 1 minute, and remove from heat. Stir in pecans, and let stand 5 minutes. Slowly drizzle mixture over pie.