Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
From Southern Living. Sept 2009
- 354.88 ml chopped pecans, divided
- 226.79 g sour cream
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 14.79 ml vanilla extract
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 354.88 ml finely chopped peeled granny smith apples
- 118.29 ml butter
- 118.29 ml firmly packed light brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake 1/2 cups pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 6-8 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring after 4 minutes.
- Beat sour cream and next 3 ingredients at low speed with an electric mixer 2 minutes or until blended.
- Stir together flour and next 3 ingredients. Add to sour cream mixture, beating just until blended. Stir in apples and 1/2 cup toated pecans. Spoon batter into a greased and floured 9x5 inch loaf pan. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup chopped pecans; lightly press pecans into the batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour to 1 hour and 5 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean, shielding with aluminum foil after 50 minutes to prevent excessive browning. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan to wire rack.
- Bring butter and brown sugar to a boil in a 1 quart heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly; boil 1 minute. Remove from heat and spoon over top of bread; let cool completely (about 1 hour).
I made this bread last week-end after seeing the picture in the Southern Living magazine. It was delicious. My hubby and I ate a piece before it was cooled and ate some after cooling. I doubled the recipe and gave one loaf to my parents. My dad likes to heat a slice up for about 15 seconds in the microwave. I will definitely be making it again.