Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Topped with gooey caramel and crunchy pecans, this apple bread is a hit with kids and adults alike!
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups peeled chopped tart apples
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F; grease a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan.
- Using an electric mixer on low speed, beat together the granulated sugar, sour cream, eggs, and vanilla until combined; raise speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, nutmeg, baking powder, soda, and salt; gradually add to sugar/sour cream mixture on low speed until combined.
- By hand, stir in the chopped apple and 1/2 cup of the pecans.
- Turn batter into the greased loaf pan; sprinkle with the remaining chopped pecans and press nuts lightly into the batter.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 55 to 60 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean; if bread is turning too brown, cover top of the bread loosely with foil for the last 10 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- While bread is cooling, in a small saucepan over medium-high heat combine the butter and brown sugar and cook, stirring, until mixture comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer gently for 1 minute to make caramel topping.
- Remove bread from pan; drizzle top with the caramel and let cool.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Recipe collected from Gail's Recipe Swap.
With an over abundance of apples from our orchard I was looking for a different apple bread and oh my this fit the bill. Not only so pretty to look at with that shiny praline topping. But the taste is perfect. I followed the recipe and wouldn't change a thing. I was worried at first as the dough felt so dry, but remembering that the apples would be adding moisture when cooking I left it as it was. The end result is moist, and delicious. This will be my go to recipe from now on
I'm sorry I thought I rated this a 5 a long time ago!! This is so good, I make it all the time, because it's SSSOOOO GOOD!! I make it as gifts all the time, and I'm ALWAYS asked for the recipe. I've made it into mini loaves for bake sales, and they are big money makers!! My friends family has never tried it, because she always eats it all before they are back from work and school!! lol DH likes it because it's not too sweet for him but it's still sweet enough for me! 100% a keeper!
Delicious! It was not overpoweringly sweet, the slightest hint of salty - just amazing. I will be making this again!!!! Unfortunately, I didn't have sour cream so I used cottage cheese, so technically I am not rating the recipe as written. *I am tired of peeling apples this fall, so I left the skins on and put them in the microwave on low for 4 minutes to soften the skin before baking. Skins were indistinguishable in the finally product - and a heck of a lot easier.