Recipe by Julesong
Topped with gooey caramel and crunchy pecans, this apple bread is a hit with kids and adults alike!
Top Review by Bonnie G #2
With an over abundance of apples from our orchard I was looking for a different apple bread and oh my this fit the bill. Not only so pretty to look at with that shiny praline topping. But the taste is perfect. I followed the recipe and wouldn't change a thing. I was worried at first as the dough felt so dry, but remembering that the apples would be adding moisture when cooking I left it as it was. The end result is moist, and delicious. This will be my go to recipe from now on
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups peeled chopped tart apples
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F; grease a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan.
- Using an electric mixer on low speed, beat together the granulated sugar, sour cream, eggs, and vanilla until combined; raise speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, nutmeg, baking powder, soda, and salt; gradually add to sugar/sour cream mixture on low speed until combined.
- By hand, stir in the chopped apple and 1/2 cup of the pecans.
- Turn batter into the greased loaf pan; sprinkle with the remaining chopped pecans and press nuts lightly into the batter.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 55 to 60 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean; if bread is turning too brown, cover top of the bread loosely with foil for the last 10 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- While bread is cooling, in a small saucepan over medium-high heat combine the butter and brown sugar and cook, stirring, until mixture comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer gently for 1 minute to make caramel topping.
- Remove bread from pan; drizzle top with the caramel and let cool.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Recipe collected from Gail's Recipe Swap.