Prep 3 hrs
Cook 50 mins
This is a very rich ice cream that is packed with flavor. Be sure to note that this is geared towards a 4 qt. ice cream maker.
- 2 1⁄4 cups light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups milk
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups slivered almonds
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chocolate fudge topping
- Combine brown sugar, flour and salt in a saucepan. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Gradually stir about 1 cup of the hot mixture into the beaten eggs. Add to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly.
- Cook 1 minute; remove from heat. Refrigerate 2 hours. Combine whipping cream and vanilla in large bowl; add chilled mixture, stirring with a wire whisk to combine.
- Saute almonds in butter over low heat about 5 minutes. Stir into ice cream mixture.
- Freeze this mixture as directed by the manufacturer.
- Swirl chocolate fudge topping through ice cream after it has stopped churning. (NOTE: This is easier to do as you transfer the ice cream into another container.).