Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 30 mins
A gorgeous, sticky and sweet chocolate cake that my friend Kati made for my birthday this year! This is a Russian recipe that uses sour cream in the batter - no butter, no margarine, no oil, but let's just say that the cake is still not exactly light!! Also, note that the cake recipe is for one cake: you need to make two for a nice, tall cake. Do NOT double the cake recipe - make it twice! If you want to make a smaller "Prague torte", make just one cake and halve the syrup and filling ingredients. The original recipe was somewhat vague instruction-wise (make cake, bake until done, sort of thing...) but this is how Kati ended up making it - and it was luscious!!
For one cake
- 2 eggs
- 225 ml sugar
- 225 ml all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar (or extract)
- 300 g sour cream
- 115 ml water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cognac
- 300 g butter
- 1 (400 g) can sweetened condensed milk, plus
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder (or use sweetened condensed chocolate milk)
- 150 g semisweet chocolate
- 30 g butter
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 5 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder (optional)
- Preheat oven to 175°C Prepare two round 24 cm cake pans: line with parchment paper; butter and flour.
- To make cake: Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and vanilla sugar in a bowl. Set aside.
- Beat eggs and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Mix in dry ingredients and fold in sour cream.
- Turn batter into the prepared pan (and make another cake!).
- Bake cakes in the preheated oven for about 50 minutes. Let cool completetely.
- To make frosting: Soften butter very well and mix with condensed milk and cocoa powder until smooth. Refrigerate.
- To make cognac syrup: Stir ingredients until the sugar dissolves.
- Assemble the cake: Split each cake into two layers. Place 1 layer on a plate, brush with cognac syrup, and spread filling on top. Top with a cake layer; repeat twice.
- Brush also the top layer with syrup (you should have used all your filling by now. If not, eat the rest with a spoon. ;-)).
- To make frosting: heat butter and cream gently in a pan until butter melts. Add chopped chocolate and stir until chocolate melts. Gradually add powdered sugar and cocoa powder, stirring continuously. Spread over cake. Decorate to your liking. Keep refrigerated until ready to devour.