Recipe by hmbnovotny
This is an adaptation of my friend, Lisa's, chili recipe. My family loves it and I've made some adjustments over the years. This is a great super-fast supper that you can make in one pot. My kids don't like the texture of the beans, so I pulse a cup or two in the food processor and they love it that way. Sometimes, we will eat this served over whole wheat pasta.
Top Review by Cookin' Swimmer
Yum! I will definitely make this again. This makes a lot, of which I do not mind...except that it's so good I'm afraid of getting fat of it (even though it's hard to with this being so low-cal). I should've chopped the turkey up more though, because it ended with big ole chunks of turkey. Amazing with jalapenos and light sour cream...and the next day for a salad. After cooking for 30 mins it was a little watery, but after sitting on it's heat for another hour it was perfect.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1⁄4 large sweet onion, finely minced
- 3⁄4 ounce garlic, finely minced (about 8 cloves)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) canlight red kidney beans
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- hot sauce (this is best to add after it's all cooked)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a pot, brown the ground turkey with the onion, add garlic when the meat is fully cooked.
- Stir in all the cans (do not drain, unless you are doubling the recipe, then I drain half the beans).
- Add the chili powder and cumin (you can add more if you'd like, don't be afraid).
- Cook on stovetop on med-low heat for about half an hour (can cook longer if you want or if you have time - I like to prep this in the morning and put it in the crockpot to cook all day, but I always add a can or two of water if using the slow cooker).
- Serve with sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped onions or scallions and tortilla chips or corn bread.