Recipe by Kate.1980
This is amazing Pozole. My kids love it and ask me to make it all the time. I learned to make it from my kids grandmother when we were visiting in Mexico. For the enchilada sauce try using my recipe. Enjoy!
- 3 lbs pork shoulder
- 12 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 3 -5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 -3 cups enchilada sauce, depending on how spicy you want it
- 2 (29 ounce) cans white hominy, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium onion, chopped (optional)
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 1 small cabbage, shredded (optional)
- 1 bunch radish, thinly sliced (optional)
- 2 -4 limes, cut into wedges (optional)
- tostadas (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot combine pork shoulder, salt, garlic, and water. Bring to a boil, skim surface, and add oregano and chicken broth.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until pork is tender, about 2 hours.
- Meanwhile chop, shred, slice, and wedge limes, onion, cilantro, radish, and cabbage. Store in containers in fridge until time to serve.
- When pork is tender remove from pot and let sit until cool enough to shred or just chop it into bite sized pieces.
- Add rinsed hominy and bring to a boil.
- Return shredded pork to pot,
- Add enchilada sauce.
- Adjust salt to taste.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Garnish with cabbage, cilantro, onions, radishes, toastadas, and fresh squeezed lime juice.