One of my all time favorite Mexican dishes is Pozole. After trying out a few recipes and changing it up a bit I think I have a keeper. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time for prepping and allowing the stew to simmer for a couple of hours. You and your guests will NOT be disappointed.
- 4 lbs pork shoulder (fat trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 4 poblano peppers (fresh)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 portabello mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons chili powder (Mild Look for green chili on label)
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 6 cups water
- 4 (15 ounce) cans yellow hominy
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans low sodium beef broth
- 2 cups mexican lager beer
- tortilla chips
- 16 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 4 cups lettuce, shredded
- 8 radishes (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped cilantro
- 8 lime wedges
- 1) Call your butcher and have them prepare the pork for you. This will save you time and also ensure they have what you need.
- 2) Start cooking the soup at least 4 hours before dinner time. The longer the soup simmers the better.
- 3) Prepare all of the ingredients before you begin cooking. It will make the process much easier. Once the soup is cooking you can clean up and then prepare the toppings.
- Preheat broiler (high) and layer baking sheet with foil. Cut chili peppers in half lengthwise (discard stems, membranes and seeds) and place on cookie sheet - skin side up. Place in oven 4-5" from top and broil for approximately 7 minutes or until skins start turning black. Cover with another sheet of foil and peel skins as soon as they're cool enough to handle. If you allow them to get cold it will be tougher to peel. Chop peppers and set aside.
- Prepare mushrooms by removing stems & gills. Coarsely chop and set aside.
- In a large Dutch Oven heat olive oil on medium-high heat. Brown meat until all sides are brown. I lightly sprinkled salt (this is in addition to the 2 teaspoons of salt on ingredient list), pepper & garlic powder to meat.
- Stir in onion & garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms, chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt & oregano. Mix well.
- Slowly add the water, hominy, chicken broth, beef broth and beer. Bring to a boil. (don't worry if your have too much broth. If you do, once it starts to boil reduce heat to medium and keep it lightly boiling to reduce. Keep adding broth until all is added.).
- Reduce to a simmer and add chopped chili peppers.
- Simmer for at least 2 hours - until meat is tender. Feel free to skim fat off top.
- The last 8 ingredients are condiments. I like to place a few chunks of cheese on the bottom of the bowl. Pour soup on top and add additional toppings.