Prep 1 hr
Cook 4 hrs
Traditional Posole stew/soup
Make and share this Pozole recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs pork shoulder, cut into 1inch cubes
- 6 -7 guajillo chilies, deveined and seeded
- 2 cups blue dried corn kernels
- 10 garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dry oregano
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 -2 cup finely chopped romaine lettuce or 1 -2 cup cabbage
- 1 white onion, minced
- 1 -2 lime, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro
- tostadas or fried corn tortilla
- Soak corn overnight then drain.
- Add it to 1 quart of water with a pinch of salt for taste and bring to boil. Simmer, covered, for about 2 hours adding more water if needed.
- While corn is cooking can Deveine and remove seeds from chilies then place in heavy skillet on low heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
- After soften place chilies in a pot with about 5 cups of water that is all ready at a boil. set aside to soak, covered in the water for about 20 minutes.
- Place cubes of pork in a large heavy bottomed stock pot and brown for around 6 mins on medium to high.
- Then for about 3 mins.drop it down to low heat and add the cloves of garlic and let them sweat.
- Add the Boiled corn pozole with its liquid in with the seared pork and garlic.
- While this cooks place the chilies with its liquid that has now cooled down into the blender and blend. Do this little by little so the blender lid does not pop off with the expansion of the liquid.
- Add the chili liquid from the blender into the stock pot include now the oregano, crumbled bay leaves and cumin.
- Place pot lid with a slight tilt over pot and simmer for about 3 hours checking the liquid frequently to make sure it is like a broth. Add water if needed.
- Fill small plates with the garnishes so each person can chose what they like to add for there own taste.