Prep 45 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Authentic Mexican Soup
- 4 lbs pork roast
- 6 (16 ounce) cans white hominy (drained)
- 20 dried chili pods (New Mexico or Anaheim chiles preferred)
- 10 arbol chili pods
- 1⁄4 cup oregano
- 2 tablespoons salt (more to taste)
- 1 large white onion, 1/2 of onion for boiling 1/2 minced for serving
- 1 cup red radish, minced
- 1 -2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 3 -4 cups green cabbage, thinly shredded
- 3 -4 limes, cut into wedges
- 2 -3 avocados, slices (optional)
- corn chips
- 1 head garlic
- Boil pork roast in large pot with water to more than cover meat, around 4-6 cups of water.
- Include entire garlic clove and half of the onion; add two tablespoons of salt.
- Cook for approximately six hours.
- About a half hour before serving, bring chilies in five cups of water to a boil, turn off burner.
- Let sit for a ten minutes.
- Pour into blender, blend until it is a loose paste.
- Pour through strainer, set aside.
- Remove garlic and onion from the pot with the roast.
- Add drained hominy and 2 1/2 cups of chili broth to the pot with the pork in it, add oregano.
- Simmer for an additional twenty minutes, and salt to taste.
- Serve with onion, radishes, cilantro, cabbage, avocado, and a squeeze of lime.
- Garnish with corn chips.