1/2 Photos of Powerfully Delish Potato Soup
1 hr 50 mins
Creamy, cheesy, potato soup with lots of bacon and potatoes. So simple and always receives rave reviews every time I've made it. My super picky family loves this soup
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -5 medium yukon gold potatoes (but russet or white will do will also work)
- 2 (8 ounce) packages Betty Crocker au gratin potatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth (or as much as you need to cover the potatoes and vegetables)
- 4 cups water
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 2 stalks celery (finely diced or put in food processor)
- 20 baby carrots (cut in bite sized pieces)
- 3/4 medium sweet onion (finely diced or put in food processor)
- 1 lb bacon
- green onion (to sprinkle on top)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic (minced, approx 2 cloves)
- 2 pinches kosher salt (to taste) or 2 pinches sea salt (to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1Peel and dice potatoes.
- 2dice the celery, carrot and onion (if you have a small food chopper it makes this much easier).
- 3cut bacon in small bite sized pieces and pan fry until done but not crisp. Save 1 tablespoon of drippings.
- 4using a large dutch oven melt the butter and add the tablespoon of bacon drippings.
- 5saute' the onion, celery and carrots, garlic, pepper in the margarine until softened.
- 6add the diced potatoes with the water and chicken broth along with both packages of au gratin potatoes both the potatoes and the sauce packages. make sure all the potatoes and vegetables are covered with fluid (water and chicken broth). Add most of the browned bacon keeping some out to garnish the top of each individual bowl.
- 7If you need to add more liquid add equal parts chicken broth and water.
- 8boil on medium high heat for 40 minutes or until all potatoes are softened.
- 9Watch your liquid. It evaporates quickly. Add equal parts water and chicken broth. If you have to add liquid add 1/2 cup broth 1/2 cup water to start and keep adding liquid in this fashion. A lot depends on your altitude. Just keep a close eye on it.
- 10take a potato masher or fork and coarsely mash the potatoes and vegetables leaving lots of chunks.
- 11add the pint of cream and heat throughly being careful not to scorch the soup.
- 12heat on low until desired consistency. It thickens up quickly. Dish into bowls and top with green onions (scallions) and bacon.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Powerfully Delish Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (712 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1575.6
- Calories from Fat 1012
- Total Fat 112.4 g
- Saturated Fat 54.7 g
- Cholesterol 270.6 mg
- Sodium 4354.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 123.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.2 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 34.0 g