Recipe by moose_kristi
This is my variation of the Power Soup published in the Jan 2014 edition of "Relish."
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup quinoa (such as farro or barley) or 1 cup other grain (such as farro or barley)
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes with juice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 cups kale, chopped
- 4 ounces pureed spinach
- 1 (14 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 3 -4 tablespoons parmigiano
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add onion and saute until softened, 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and saute 1 minute. Add grain and stir to coat.
- Add broth, water, squash, tomatoes, thyme, and salt. Bring to a boil, breaking up the tomatoes and squash with the spoon.
- Reduce heat, partially cover and simmer until squash is tender and the grain is cooked (about 30 minutes). Stir in the beans, spinach puree, and kale and simmer 2 minutes, until kale is tender. Stir in cheese and serve hot.