Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is my variation of the Power Soup published in the Jan 2014 edition of "Relish."
Make and share this Power Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup quinoa (such as farro or barley) or 1 cup other grain (such as farro or barley)
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes with juice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 cups kale, chopped
- 4 ounces pureed spinach
- 1 (14 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 3 -4 tablespoons parmigiano
- Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add onion and saute until softened, 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and saute 1 minute. Add grain and stir to coat.
- Add broth, water, squash, tomatoes, thyme, and salt. Bring to a boil, breaking up the tomatoes and squash with the spoon.
- Reduce heat, partially cover and simmer until squash is tender and the grain is cooked (about 30 minutes). Stir in the beans, spinach puree, and kale and simmer 2 minutes, until kale is tender. Stir in cheese and serve hot.