Recipe by Benthe (Danish)
Puréed navy beans add protein and fibre to a carbohydrate-rich loaf that's not only delicious for sandwiches, toast and French toast but is the basis of our focaccia and pizza recipes. By Canadian Living Test Kitchen. Include bread-machine instructions and Foccasia bread, too. Enjoy.Prep- and cooking time does not include, rise time.
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup warm water, 250 ml
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast, 10 ml
- 1 cup navy beans, cooked or 1 cup navy beans, canned, drained and rinsed, 250 ml
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, 25 ml
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, approx. 550 ml
- 1 cup whole wheat flour, 250 ml
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Bean Bread Dough:
- In large bowl, dissolve sugar in water; sprinkle yeast over top.
- Let stand for about 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Meanwhile, in food processor, purée beans and oil until smooth; add to yeast mixture.
- Using wooden spoon, vigorously beat in 1 cup (250 ml) of the all-purpose flour, the whole wheat flour and salt for 1 minute or until sticky dough forms.
- Gradually stir in enough of the remaining flour to make stiff dough.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface.
- Knead for about 8 minutes or until smooth, elastic and stiff, adding up to 1/4 cup, 50 ml more flour if necessary to keep from sticking.
- Form into ball and place in greased bowl, turning to grease all over. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise in warm, draft-free place for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch down dough and turn out onto lightly floured surface; gently pull into 11 - x 8-inch (28 x 20 cm) rectangle.
- Starting at 1 narrow end, roll up into tight cylinder; pinch along seam to smooth and seal.
- Place, seam side down, in greased 8- x 4-inch (1.5 L) loaf pan.
- Cover and let rise for about 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Brush top with milk.
- Bake in 400°F (200°C) oven for about 30 minutes or until golden and bottom sounds hollow when tapped.
- Remove from pan; let cool on rack.
- Power-Packed Bread Machine Bean Bread: In order,
- place in pan puréed bean mixture, water, sugar, salt, 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour and the whole wheat flour.
- Sprinkle with 2 tsp quick-rising active dry yeast, making sure yeast does not touch liquid.
- According to manufacturer's instructions, choose cycle for basic bread, regular crust.
- Let baked loaf cool completely on rack.
- Makes 1 loaf, or 12 slices.
- Foccasia Bread:.
- Make our tasty Bean Bread Dough to shape into flatbread for sandwiches or appetizers, or to accompany your favorite Italian meal.
- After first rise of dough, cut into 4 equal portions.
- Roll out each into 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick circle.
- Sprinkle cornmeal evenly over large rimmed baking sheet; place dough on top.
- Cover with towel; let rise in warm draft-free place for 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Brush with oil; press fingers into top to make dimpled effect.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake in bottom of 400°F (200°C) oven for about 20 minutes or until golden and bottoms sound hollow when tapped.
- Servings : 4.