Benthe (Danish)'s Note:
Puréed navy beans add protein and fibre to a carbohydrate-rich loaf that's not only delicious for sandwiches, toast and French toast but is the basis of our focaccia and pizza recipes. By Canadian Living Test Kitchen. Include bread-machine instructions and Foccasia bread, too. Enjoy.Prep- and cooking time does not include, rise time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup warm water, 250 ml
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast, 10 ml
- 1 cup navy beans, cooked or 1 cup navy beans, canned, drained and rinsed, 250 ml
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, 25 ml
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, approx. 550 ml
- 1 cup whole wheat flour, 250 ml
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1Bean Bread Dough:
- 2In large bowl, dissolve sugar in water; sprinkle yeast over top.
- 3Let stand for about 10 minutes or until frothy.
- 4Meanwhile, in food processor, purée beans and oil until smooth; add to yeast mixture.
- 5Using wooden spoon, vigorously beat in 1 cup (250 ml) of the all-purpose flour, the whole wheat flour and salt for 1 minute or until sticky dough forms.
- 6Gradually stir in enough of the remaining flour to make stiff dough.
- 7Turn out onto lightly floured surface.
- 8Knead for about 8 minutes or until smooth, elastic and stiff, adding up to 1/4 cup, 50 ml more flour if necessary to keep from sticking.
- 9Form into ball and place in greased bowl, turning to grease all over. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise in warm, draft-free place for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until doubled in bulk.
- 10Punch down dough and turn out onto lightly floured surface; gently pull into 11 - x 8-inch (28 x 20 cm) rectangle.
- 11Starting at 1 narrow end, roll up into tight cylinder; pinch along seam to smooth and seal.
- 12Place, seam side down, in greased 8- x 4-inch (1.5 L) loaf pan.
- 13Cover and let rise for about 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- 14Brush top with milk.
- 15Bake in 400°F (200°C) oven for about 30 minutes or until golden and bottom sounds hollow when tapped.
- 16Remove from pan; let cool on rack.
- 17Power-Packed Bread Machine Bean Bread: In order,
- 18place in pan puréed bean mixture, water, sugar, salt, 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour and the whole wheat flour.
- 19Sprinkle with 2 tsp quick-rising active dry yeast, making sure yeast does not touch liquid.
- 20According to manufacturer's instructions, choose cycle for basic bread, regular crust.
- 21Let baked loaf cool completely on rack.
- 22Makes 1 loaf, or 12 slices.
- 23Foccasia Bread:.
- 24Make our tasty Bean Bread Dough to shape into flatbread for sandwiches or appetizers, or to accompany your favorite Italian meal.
- 25After first rise of dough, cut into 4 equal portions.
- 26Roll out each into 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick circle.
- 27Sprinkle cornmeal evenly over large rimmed baking sheet; place dough on top.
- 28Cover with towel; let rise in warm draft-free place for 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- 29Brush with oil; press fingers into top to make dimpled effect.
- 30Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 31Bake in bottom of 400°F (200°C) oven for about 20 minutes or until golden and bottoms sound hollow when tapped.
- 32Servings : 4.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Power-Packed Bean Bread
Serving Size: 1 (152 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 377.4
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 657.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 10.6 g