Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Healthier and more flavorful than all-meat burgers.
- 1⁄4 cup vegetables, chopped (suggestions, portabello mushrooms, onions, artichoke hearts, cabbage, broccoli, zucchini, squash)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3⁄4 lb 90% lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup textured vegetable protein (TVP) or 1⁄4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (I use Lawry's)
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese or 4 slices monterey jack cheese
- 4 whole grain buns
- In a skillet, sauté garlic over medium-high heat in oil for 1 minute.
- Add vegetables of your choice and sauté until tender-crisp, and if using mushrooms, until they release their juices and juices have evaporated (7-15 minutes, depending on vegetable combo).
- In a bowl, combine the vegetables, meat, bread crumbs, and seasonings, and mix well.
- Divide mixture into four equal parts and shape into patties.
- Prepare grill for cooking (you can use either an indoor electric grill or a traditional grill).
- Grill the patties until the juices run clear and the patties spring back when touched (about 4 minutes on an electric grill or 8-12 on an outdoor grill).
- Place a patty on each bun and top with a slice of cheese, spinach or romaine lettuce, and your favorite condiments.