Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Convenient portable snack for on the go.Recipe adapted from Nutrition magazine for the active woman. Recipe calls for raisins and dried cranberries. I also added some chopped dried apricots. Excellent recipe.
- 2 cups oats
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon (rounded)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 19 ounces white kidney beans
- 1⁄4 cup margarine (nonhydrogenated)
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup pecans
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place oats in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until it resembles coarse flour.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda,cinnammon and salt and process until combined.
- Put beans into food processor and pulse until pureed. Add butter, brown sugar, egg and vanilla and pulse until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl.
- Pour bean mixture into oat mixture and stir by hand until almost combined; add raisins, cranberries, nuts and flaxseed and stir just until blended.
- Spread the batter into a 9 by 13 inch pan that has been sprayed with a non-stick spray.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until golden around the edges. Cool in the pan before cutting into bars.