Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Convenient portable snack for on the go.Recipe adapted from Nutrition magazine for the active woman. Recipe calls for raisins and dried cranberries. I also added some chopped dried apricots. Excellent recipe.
- 2 cups oats
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon (rounded)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 19 ounces white kidney beans
- 1⁄4 cup margarine (nonhydrogenated)
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup pecans
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place oats in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until it resembles coarse flour.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda,cinnammon and salt and process until combined.
- Put beans into food processor and pulse until pureed. Add butter, brown sugar, egg and vanilla and pulse until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl.
- Pour bean mixture into oat mixture and stir by hand until almost combined; add raisins, cranberries, nuts and flaxseed and stir just until blended.
- Spread the batter into a 9 by 13 inch pan that has been sprayed with a non-stick spray.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until golden around the edges. Cool in the pan before cutting into bars.