Recipe by Kiki Freebird
From Elanaspantry.com. Vegan & gluten-free... AND sooooooo delicious. Good protein, and easy to take on the go. My sis-in-law introduced me to these, with a few modifications. I like the way she makes hers, so I've included those changes as well.
- 2 cups almonds (raw)
- 1⁄2 cup golden flax seed meal
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 cup creamy roasted almond butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celtic sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup coconut oil
- 4 drops stevia (optional)
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place almonds, flax meal, shredded coconut, almond butter and salt in a food processor. Pulse briefly, about 10 seconds.
- In a small sauce pan, melt coconut oil over very low heat.
- Remove coconut oil from stove, stir in stevia (I think it's sweet enough without this), agave and vanilla into oil.
- Add coconut oil mixture to food processor and pulse until ingredients form a coarse paste. (This is the point where I add the dark chocolate chips. I just stir them in and then skip steps 7 and 8).
- Press mixture into an 8x8 inch Pyrex baking dish.
- Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour, until mixture hardens.
- In a small saucepan, melt chocolate over very low heat, stirring continuously.
- Spread melted chocolate over bars; return to refrigerator for 30 minutes, until chocolate hardens.
- Remove from refrigerator, cut into bars and serve.