Prep 3 hrs
Cook 20 mins
A hand me down recipe in our family. This is a versatile dough and we use it to make cinnamon rolls as well. The smell of these fresh baked rolls bring back memories of my mother.
- 1 cup powdered milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups lukewarm water
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package instant yeast
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 beaten egg
- 4 1⁄2 cups flour
- In a large bowl combine the dissolve the powdered milk and sugar in the warm water and then stir in the yeast. Allow to proof until a creamy foam forms.
- Stir in the beaten egg, melted butter and salt.
- Then slowly add the 4 1/2 cups flour or enough to make a soft dough.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Place in a well oiled bowl and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap.
- Let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour. Punch down and let rise until doubled in bulk again.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees, shape into 20 rolls and place in a 9 x 13 greased cake pan. Cover and let rise until doubled.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.