Recipe by COOKGIRl
Adapted from several online recipes: namely 'Flavors of Belize' cookbook and belmopancityonlin.com. Vegan friendly. For the record: I used half unbleached cane sugar and half demerara. If at all possible, please use *freshly* grated nutmeg. My Belizean friend described these buns "like English scones."
Top Review by ellie_
Very good and easy - we used a mixed berry mix from Trader Joe's and didn't use the healthier options but used regular sugar, butter and regular skim milk. Made for ZWT9. Thanks for sharing!
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar (regular brown sugar, raw, demerara, muscovado, turbinado)
- 1⁄3 cup unbleached cane sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter (I used a combination of butter and coconut oil but original recipe specified shortening) or 2 tablespoons coconut oil (I used a combination of butter and coconut oil but original recipe specified shortening)
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk (can use regular milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup raisins (we subbed dried cranberries because someone in our household does not like raisins)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in both sugars and nutmeg.
- Cut in the butter/shortening and/or coconut oil.
- Combine the coconut milk and vanilla and stir in the bowl with the flour *just* until moistened. DO NOT overmix the batter! Stir in the raisins.
- Roll into equal size balls and [slightly] flatten.
- Arrange on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake about 20 minutes or until golden brown. We liked our powda bons with a drizzle of agave.