Stella Mae's Note:
This eastern European Croatian sweet bread or coffee cake is enjoyed during Christmas and Easter. Povotica (Povo-teets-a) is out of this world delicious, no other way to describe it. My cousin makes this bread every Christmas, and I like it for a coffee or tea party.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 compressed yeast cakes
- 7 cups flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 eggs, beaten until lemon colored
- 1 cup boiled and cooled whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1Combine 1/4 cup water, yeast and 2 tablespoons of the flour; cover with a cloth and let rise in a warm place for 10 minutes.
- 2Mix eggs, water, milk, sugar, salt and lemon extract together; add yeast mixture.
- 3Add remaining flour until damp; add butter.
- 4Knead until smooth.
- 5Cover with a cloth, set in warm place, let rise until doubled in bulk.
- 6Roll out dough.
- 7Spread filling on dough; roll up like a jelly roll.
- 8Lightly grease a large, oblong baking pan-- a jellyroll pan or sheet cake pan that is 10"x15" or 9"x13" in size.
- 9"Snake"this long, jellyroll around and around the pan beginning in the center and working outward.
- 10Cover with a cloth and let rise for 30 minutes.
- 11Bake at 350F for 1 hour-- test for doneness by sticking a table knife deep into the center of the loaf.
- 12When the knife comes out clean, the bread is ready.
- 13Be careful not to overbake!
- 14Cool on a cake rack before slicing.
- 15Keeps well in a covered container in the fridge.
Nutritional Facts for Povotica
Serving Size: 1 (3442 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 12914.1
- Calories from Fat 4973
- Total Fat 552.5 g
- Saturated Fat 136.2 g
- Cholesterol 1447.9 mg
- Sodium 8504.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1865.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 84.2 g
- Sugars 1019.8 g
- Protein 238.3 g