Recipe by Steve P.
This is a traditional sweet Christmas bread made both in Poland and Austria. This is the Polish version. I have posted the austrian version seperately as well ;-)
For Sweet Dough
- 354.88 ml lukewarm milk
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 9.85 ml salt
- 2 eggs
- 59.14 ml soft butter
- 2 package fleischmann active dry yeast
- 118.29 ml water
- 1774.42-1892.72 ml flour
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 354.88 ml sugar
- 236.59 ml margarine
- 680.38 g pecans or 680.38 g walnuts (ground fine)
- 4 eggs
- 0.25 ml salt
- 4.92 ml cocoa
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Sweet Dough preparation: Combine warm milk, sugar, salt, softened butter, and beaten eggs.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water and add to other ingredients.
- Add half of flour, mix well until smooth.
- Add flour to handle easily.
- Knead dough on lightly floured board.
- Put dough in greased bowl, cover and place in warm, draft free place until doubled in size.
- Punch down and let double again.
- Divide dough in three parts.
- Roll each part until very thin in rectangular shape.
- Spread filling, roll and twist in circular shape like a snail or cinnamon roll.
- Place in greased 8 or 9 cake pans.
- Cover, put in warm place and let rise.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 45 minutes.
- Makes three loaves.
- Filling preparation: In heavy pan, over medium heat, combine sugar, milk and margarine and heat.
- Add nuts, then beaten eggs and mix well.
- Boil one minutes stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, add pinch of salt, cocoa and cinnamon and mix well.
- Let cool till just warm enough to spread.