1/1 Photo of Povitica Polish Holiday bread
4 hrs 45 mins
This is a traditional sweet Christmas bread made both in Poland and Austria. This is the Polish version. I have posted the austrian version seperately as well ;-)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For Sweet Dough
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup soft butter
- 2 packages fleischmann active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup water
- 7 1/2-8 cups flour
- 1Sweet Dough preparation: Combine warm milk, sugar, salt, softened butter, and beaten eggs.
- 2Dissolve yeast in warm water and add to other ingredients.
- 3Add half of flour, mix well until smooth.
- 4Add flour to handle easily.
- 5Knead dough on lightly floured board.
- 6Put dough in greased bowl, cover and place in warm, draft free place until doubled in size.
- 7Punch down and let double again.
- 8Divide dough in three parts.
- 9Roll each part until very thin in rectangular shape.
- 10Spread filling, roll and twist in circular shape like a snail or cinnamon roll.
- 11Place in greased 8 or 9 cake pans.
- 12Cover, put in warm place and let rise.
- 13Bake at 350 degrees for 30 45 minutes.
- 14Makes three loaves.
- 15Filling preparation: In heavy pan, over medium heat, combine sugar, milk and margarine and heat.
- 16Add nuts, then beaten eggs and mix well.
- 17Boil one minutes stirring constantly.
- 18Remove from heat, add pinch of salt, cocoa and cinnamon and mix well.
- 19Let cool till just warm enough to spread.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Povitica Polish Holiday bread
Serving Size: 1 (3118 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4140.0
- Calories from Fat 2311
- Total Fat 256.8 g
- Saturated Fat 40.6 g
- Cholesterol 480.7 mg
- Sodium 2629.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 413.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 31.7 g
- Sugars 143.8 g
- Protein 72.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: