Prep 4 hrs
Cook 45 mins
This is a traditional sweet Christmas bread made both in Poland and Austria. This is the Polish version. I have posted the austrian version seperately as well ;-)
For Sweet Dough
- 1 1⁄2 cups lukewarm milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup soft butter
- 2 packages fleischmann active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 7 1⁄2-8 cups flour
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pecans or 1 1⁄2 lbs walnuts (ground fine)
- 4 eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon cocoa
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Sweet Dough preparation: Combine warm milk, sugar, salt, softened butter, and beaten eggs.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water and add to other ingredients.
- Add half of flour, mix well until smooth.
- Add flour to handle easily.
- Knead dough on lightly floured board.
- Put dough in greased bowl, cover and place in warm, draft free place until doubled in size.
- Punch down and let double again.
- Divide dough in three parts.
- Roll each part until very thin in rectangular shape.
- Spread filling, roll and twist in circular shape like a snail or cinnamon roll.
- Place in greased 8 or 9 cake pans.
- Cover, put in warm place and let rise.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 45 minutes.
- Makes three loaves.
- Filling preparation: In heavy pan, over medium heat, combine sugar, milk and margarine and heat.
- Add nuts, then beaten eggs and mix well.
- Boil one minutes stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, add pinch of salt, cocoa and cinnamon and mix well.
- Let cool till just warm enough to spread.
I've made this for a couple of years now. It really isn't as hard as it appears and people really like it.
I tried this recipe and it's awesome. Just a hint try it with various cream cheese fillings that you make yourself with various ingredients such as flavorings and fruits and nuts. Delicious
This is an awesome recipe !!Very nice for a special occasion.