Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
When you have nothing left in the bank just before pay day this pie is a life saver, and yummy too.
- 4 ounces all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces whole wheat flour
- 4 ounces butter
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 lbs potatoes, cubed
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- black pepper
- 1 teaspoon parsley, minced
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup cold water
- Mix all the flour and butter together with your fingertips until you end up with something that looks like breadcrumbs.
- Gradually, add enough cold water to form a dough; refrigerate for an hour (optional).
- While the dough is chilling, boil the cubed potatoes till very soft and fry the onions and garlic together in a little oil.
- Drain potatoes.
- Add the soy sauce and black pepper; mix onions with the potatoes, plus with a little of the potato water to make the mixture really creamy.
- Add half the cheese.
- Roll the pastry to about one cm or 1/4" thick and put in a lighty greased pie pan.
- Spread the mixture out in the pastry lined pan and top with the last of the cheese and the parsley.
- Bake in an oven preheated to gas mark 5/190C/375F for 40 minutes.