Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
The name says it all...absolute must for all the mushroom lovers out there...smooth as silk gravy!!
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup fresh mushroom pieces (finely chopped or diced)
- 1 cup sodium-free vegetable broth
- 3⁄4 cup tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (dissolved in little cold water)
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- In a small saucepan, sauté onion and mushrooms in a small amount (one tablespoon of Canola) oil.
- Mix dissolved cornstarch into a cup of vegetable broth.
- Slowly add to onions and mushrooms.
- Add the other ingredients too.
- Check the seasonings and cook gently until thickened.
- Use on vegetables, over cooked rice or noodles, in casseroles, or over mashed potatoes.
This is a wonderful gravy! Very easy to make. I was skepical of the tomato sauce in it, but it works very well. I didn't have any white wine so used red. Delicious with my veggie 'chicken' but I can't wait to try it with potatoes or rice.
Pretty good, but I also added bigger pieces of mushroom at the end, along with coarse sliced onions and subbed some sriracha sauce and oriental broth for tobasco and veggie broth. Ended up being pretty good.
Absolutely horrible. I wasted time and ingredients on this. If you're wondering how a mushroom gravy with a tomato base would work, don't.