Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Pizza cooked in a pan, no yeast required. Where I found this recipe remains a mystery. The recipe is yellowed with age! Very, very simple to make.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) packagesliced pepperoni
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped green peppers
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, garlic powder and pepper; stir in milk and eggs. Pour into a greased 13-in.x9x2 baking pan. In a skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Sprinkle over the crust. Top with pepperoni, onion, and green pepper.
- Bake uncovered, at 425' for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Spread with the pizza sauce and sprinkle with the cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
I found one way to really improve the crust on this is to use less egg. I've made this many times doubling the recipe and using 4 eggs, and the crust always came out limp, kind of like a pizza crepe. But using 3 eggs for two pizzas, the crust came out more crust-like, browned better, and could be eaten out of hand like a "real" pizza. I guess making a single pizza, I might try only one egg or one whole egg and either the yolk or white of a second egg.
A decent repice, but not chewy or substantial enough for my taste. Next time I will try it with high-protein bread flour and beat the batter longer, to produce more gluten and make it tougher. I like pizza crust with a little fight in it! Also, I lined my baking pan with foil and greased that with non-stick cooking spray. BIG MISTAKE! The pizza stuck quite badly. Next time, I'll make it without the foil and deal with scrubbing the pan!
I gave this 5 stars for ease of preparation and not to mention it tasted good too. I left the bell pepper out and added sliced fresh mushrooms. My family really liked this pizza. Thanks Kangastyler in COSTAL, Maine. Bullwinkle.