Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is one of my family's favorite recipes. The original recipe came from 'Aunt Bee's Mayberry Cookbook', but I've adapted it to suit our tastes. Enjoy!
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Combine the flour and the salt.
- Next, cut the beef in half and coat it in the flour mixture.
- Pour enough oil to cover the bottom of your skillet and heat on medium-high.
- While it is heating, combine the tomatoes, celery, carrots, and Worcestershire in a medium bowl.
- When the oil heats up, add several pieces of beef and brown on both sides. (It's not supposed to cook all the way).
- When the meat is browned, set aside on paper towels to drain. Add the remaining flour to the pan drippings.
- Stir in the tomato mixture and stir constantly until it's thick and bubbly.
- Put the meat in baking dish, (I use two 7 1/2 square dishes, but it calls for a 12 x 7 1/2 dish. Take your pick) then pour the skillet mixture over it.
- Cover the dish and bake for about an hour (when the meat is cooked all the way through).