1/4 Photos of Pound Puppies
3 hrs 15 mins
These sweet rolls are great fun for the kids sleep-over parties. Serve warm or at room temperature.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 large egg yolks
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1In a small saucepan heat milk with honey, stirring, over low heat just until lukewarm and remove pan from heat. Stir in yeast and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- 2Add butter and yolks, whisking until combined well. Transfer milk mixture to bowl of a standing electric mixer (or to a large bowl if kneading by hand).
- 3Add flour gradually to milk mixture, stirring until incorporated. With dough hook knead dough until smooth, about 2 minutes. (By hand, knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- 4Transfer dough to a lightly oiled large bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with plastic and allow to rise in a warm place, until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- 5Meanwhile, In a small saucepan heat glaze ingredients over low flame, stirring occasionally, until butter is melted. Keep glaze warm.
- 6Grease two baking sheets or line with parchement paper. Punch down dough and divide into 12 equal pieces. Form each piece into and egg shape and transfer pieces to prepared baking sheet.
- 7Form 2 puppy ears by making a 2-inch long snip on each side, starting near wide end and cutting toward narrow end.
- 8Brush top and sides of rolls with half of the glaze.
- 9Form eyes on each piece by making 2 holes in narrow end with the end of a sharp knife and pressing a raisin firmly into each hole. Cut a slit in the bottom of the roll for the tongue. Insert a dried cherry to form the tongue. Place a half of marachino cherry in center for the noses.
- 10Cover loosely with plastic wrap in a warm place to let rise, about 30 minutes (or until doubled in bulk).
- 11Preheat oven to 375°F Remove plastic wrap and bake 15 minutes.
- 12Brush rolls with remaining glaze, then bake an additional 3 minutes. Using a spatula, carefully transfer to wire racks to cool (the glaze will be like hot candy and can burn you).
- 13Serve warm or at room temperature. Best eaten right away.
Nutritional Facts for Pound Puppies
Serving Size: 1 (100 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 321.3
- Calories from Fat 86
- Total Fat 9.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 52.7 mg
- Sodium 82.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 17.9 g
- Protein 7.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: