These sweet rolls are great fun for the kids sleep-over parties. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 large egg yolks
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 24 raisins (for the eyes)
- 12 dried cherries (for the tongues)
- 6 maraschino cherries, cut in half (for noses)
- In a small saucepan heat milk with honey, stirring, over low heat just until lukewarm and remove pan from heat. Stir in yeast and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Add butter and yolks, whisking until combined well. Transfer milk mixture to bowl of a standing electric mixer (or to a large bowl if kneading by hand).
- Add flour gradually to milk mixture, stirring until incorporated. With dough hook knead dough until smooth, about 2 minutes. (By hand, knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer dough to a lightly oiled large bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with plastic and allow to rise in a warm place, until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, In a small saucepan heat glaze ingredients over low flame, stirring occasionally, until butter is melted. Keep glaze warm.
- Grease two baking sheets or line with parchement paper. Punch down dough and divide into 12 equal pieces. Form each piece into and egg shape and transfer pieces to prepared baking sheet.
- Form 2 puppy ears by making a 2-inch long snip on each side, starting near wide end and cutting toward narrow end.
- Brush top and sides of rolls with half of the glaze.
- Form eyes on each piece by making 2 holes in narrow end with the end of a sharp knife and pressing a raisin firmly into each hole. Cut a slit in the bottom of the roll for the tongue. Insert a dried cherry to form the tongue. Place a half of marachino cherry in center for the noses.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap in a warm place to let rise, about 30 minutes (or until doubled in bulk).
- Preheat oven to 375°F Remove plastic wrap and bake 15 minutes.
- Brush rolls with remaining glaze, then bake an additional 3 minutes. Using a spatula, carefully transfer to wire racks to cool (the glaze will be like hot candy and can burn you).
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Best eaten right away.