Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is great for last minute company during this holiday season. You can use any kind of store-bought pound cake, make the sauce, & top with sweetened whipped cream or frozen topping. Didn't allow for cooling time. Originally on landolakes.com but have tweaked it a bit.
- 1 store bought poundcake (We used Sara Lee)
- 3 cups fresh cranberries or 3 cups thawed frozen cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 -2 tablespoon brandy or 2 teaspoons brandy extract
- brandy sweetened whipping cream, garnish
- toasted slivered almonds, garnish
- 1 sprig mint, garnish
- Stir cranberries, sugar and water in 2-qt saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil, about 5-10 minutes.
- Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until cranberries pop, about 3-4 minutes.
- Cool 30 minutes.
- Stir in brandy.
- Place in microwave-safe bowl.
- Cover; refrigerate until serving time.
- Just before serving, microwave sauce on HIGH, stirring once, until warm (1-2 mins).
- Use 2 tablespoons sauce over each serving or slice of cake.
- Garnish with sweetened whipped cream or frozen topping, almond slivers, and sprig of mint.
I found this recipe on the Land O'Lakes site and have made the sauce several times. I have served the sauce over pound cake and also a nice rich vanilla ice cream, it makes a lovely dessert for the holidays. I like to add a teaspoon or two of orange zest to the cranberry sauce while it is cooking. Nice simple recipe.