Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
I just played around with my original pound cake recipe and developed this decadent dessert. A touch of irish cream, toasted almonds and dulce de leche make a regular pound cake an outstanding dessert that will leave you wanting more! And it is also perfect for b-day cakes!
- Preheat you oven to 350°F.
- Cream butter and margarine with sugar.
- While the butters and sugar cream mix in separated bowl flour an baking powder.
- In an other bowl mix orange juice, vanilla and irich cream.
- Pour egg yolks into the butter mixture, one at a time.
- Mix in the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients alternating.
- In a separate bowl, wisk the egg whites until they form soft peeks.
- With a large spoon (wooden spoon or spatula) mix in the egg whites into the mixture.
- Pour into the pan and bake for 40 to 50 minutes.
- As soon as it comes out of the oven unmold it. (this will avoid over cooking).
- Let it cool for 30 mins, and divide it using a nylon thread.
- The nylon thread technic, is very easy and accurate for us who are not too handy with the serrated knife. Just mark with toothpicks the midpoint on the side of your cake in 4 spots.
- With a long string of nylon thread, holding it tight, place your right hand in one of the toothpicks and move the left hand around marks passing the thread thru the cake.
- In a skillet toast the almonds for 5 mins, until they are crunchy.
- Safe a 1/4 cup of dulce de leche and pour it onver one side of the cake
- sprinkle almonds over, and top it with the other side of the cake.