Recipe by Manami
Bake this cake ahead of time. Store at room temperature up to three days or place it in the freezer in a large zip-lock and store up to s month. Let thaw; then top with icing and sprinkles. Southern Living Magazine, 10/2007 edition. Cooling and standing time 2 hr. & 40 min.
Top Review by meriall
There was something really wrong with this recipe. The picture featured shows the cake from a bundt pan. I used my largest bundt pan and the cake overflowed like a fountain. It was way way way too much so it would have been a crazy amount for 2 pans. Then after the 1 hour 10 minute mark, what cake we still had had a dark golden crust on the top but the inside was just soup. 20 minutes later we had a burnt top and threw the whole thing out.
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter or 1 1⁄2 cups margarine, softened
- 2 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 8 ounces container sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup salted cashews
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped dried apricot
- 3 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
Directions See How It's Made
- POUND CAKE:.
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Gradually add sugars, beating at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until yellow disappears after each addition.
- Stir together flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Add to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 9- x 5-inch loaf pans.
- Bake at 325°F for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes.
- Remove cakes from pans, and let cool 2 hours or until completely cool.
- PREPARE CARAMEL ICING:.
- Bring first 4 ingredients to a full rolling boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring often.
- Boil, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer 2 to 4 minutes or until thickened.
- Use immediately.
- Pour over cake, allowing it to drip down sides of cake.
- APRICOT-GINGER SPRINKLES:.
- Toss all ingredients together, and top pound cake no more than one hour before serving.
- Let stand 30 minutes or until icing is firm.